This 1000 resident community was first settled in 1880. It takes its name from
the Indian word for "the bend" in the South River. The area was settled in the
1870's and business was attracted by the waterfalls in the South River,
which provided waterpower for lumber processing and manufacturing. In the mid-1880s, the Northern and
Pacific Junction Railway (which became the Grand Trunk and the CNR) extended northwards
from Gravenhurst to North Bay.
The small mountain on Powassan's southeast corner was re-forested in the 1930s, and now provides three 2 km walking trail for the locals. The top provides a view of the Rift Valley to the West with a panorama of the area between Powassan and beyond Lake Nipissing.
Annual events: The annual Maple Syrup Festival and Dicken's Week.
Community web site.
Powassan Business listings
The Clark House
It is one of the oldest brick homes in the Powassan area, built in 1886, using bricks from the Clark ) family's own brick works. Three churches, the school and the fair grounds are all on land that originally belonged to the Clarks. The house is now maintained by the Powassan and Area Historical Society, Noon to 5:00 P.M. (Closed on Mondays) until Labour Day.