Sudbury Running, Track & Field, and Jogging
[ Background | Equipment | Where ]
Running and jogging is an easy and convenient way to get in shape and meet people. Running is simply jogging FASTER. Running virtually no equipment and can be done anywhere, and can be done alone or in groups. If you have concerns about your heart or breathing discuss it with you doctor first.
[ Return to top ]
Running shoes (sometimes called "cross-training shoes") should be both comfortable and lightweight and provide good arch and ankle support. Every foot and every shoe is different and you should try on the shoes you buy and even walk around for a few minutes to ensure a comfortable fit. Some optional items to consider are: a wristwatch/stopwatch, a water resistant wind suit (Gortex is best) for all-weather running, and a water bottle. Almost any sporting goods store sells the equipment, and there are several sports shoe even running specialty stores in the city.
[ Return to top ]
You can run outside on the city's and surrounding area's recreational paths.
Some are in the wilderness, and are cross-country trails in the winter. If you choose to run at night, run in brightly-colored or reflective clothing, and consider running with a partner for safety.
If you would like to join a running club, there are some in and around the city that will help you
train. Contact any of the following:
- Elliot Lake Runners (Elliot Lake), Peter Shipman 705-461-7919
- Laurentian University Road Runners (Sudbury), Rick Carlton & Al Salmoni 705-675-1151
- North Bay Legion Road Runners (North Bay), Art Gabor 705-474-8462
- Sudbury Masters Road Runners (Sudbury), Mike Narozanski 705-673-6101
- Sudbury Rocks!! Running Club (Sudbury), Vincent Perdue 705-560-0424
- Track North Athletic Club (Sudbury), Dick Moss 705-523-1143
There are also a few running races throughout the year, with most in the summer. There are events from a one mile sprint, 10-K (ten kilometres), right up to marathons, triathlons and ultra-marathons (you run for 24 hours...cross-country).