Nickel Centre - Sudbury, Ontario neighbourhoods and nearby communities

Falconbridge's Lockerby Mine

Nickel Centre, lying both east and northeast of Sudbury, was an independent town from 1973 to 2000, and had a population of 13,000 prior to its 2001 amalgamation into the City of Greater Sudbury. It is now part of Wards 7 and 9.

Nickel Centre has great transportation access. The Greater Sudbury Airport is located in Nickel Centre midway between Falconbridge and Skead, just off Highway 17 and offers connections to other Ontario communities on Jazz and Bearskin, and winter charters to sun destinations. The community lies along the main route of the /Trans-Canada Highway, which passes through Coniston and Wahnapitae, as well as by the Southeast and Southeast Bypass route, which provides quick connections to Highway 69/400 south, and to Highway 17 west.

Here are the key communities in Nickel Centre (from south to north, heading out of town):

Coniston (which includes the neighbourhoods of Austin and Old Coniston) was incorporated in 1934, and was annexed into Nickel Centre in 1972.

Wahnapitae, named for the river and lake (though they are spelled Wanapitei) , whose name comes from the Ojibway word waanabidebiing, which means "concave-tooth [shaped] water", referring to the shape of the lake.

Garson started as a logging camp in 1888, and had a narrow gauge logging railway at Wahnapitae, from which logs were floated down the Wanapitei River to Lake Huron. Eventually this track was extended north into Capreol Township. Garson had two mines, the defunct Kirkwood Mine and the 1911 Garson Mine, now owned by Vale Inco.

Falconbridge, was a township and 1880s lumber camp named for a justice of the High Court of Ontario. Nickel was first discovered here in 1902, and became part of the Falconbride mine in 1928. Falconbridge was incorporated as a town in 1957, and became part of Nickel Centre in 1973. In 2006, Falconbridge Ltd. was taken over by Swiss mining company Xstrata, who donated the former Edison Building mine office to house the municipal archives.

Skead (population 600) is located on south shore of Lake Wanapitei, about 25 kilometres northeast of downtown Sudbury. In 1921 the community grew around a sawmill, and was named for the sawmill's general manager's father-in-law, a Canadian Senator.


Coniston has two elementary schools, and Wahnipitae and Falconbridge each have a public elementary school, and Garson has a Catholic elementary and a public high school


There is minor shopping in these communities, and a retail strip along Second Ave in Coniston, though most residents head into Sudbury for their shopping.


Skead has a marina/boat launch onto Wahnapetei Lake. Garson and Falconbridge have an indoor ice arena. Coniston has a baseball diamond beside Highway 17.


About 80% of Nickel Centre housing in single family detached homes, with small numbers of low rise apartments, semi-detached homes, duplexes and townhouses.

Community Map

More about Sudbury, from