Sudbury Ontario Nearby Towns and Attractions: Manitowaning
This small town is on the south end of Manitowaning Bay, midway between Little Current and South Baymouth. Its name means "den of the spirit." It was first settled in 1836, when a teacher, and Anglican clergyman, and the Indian superintendent arrived and started erecting buildings with the intent of creating a permanent settlement for the natives. That summer Sir Francis Head, the Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, met with the Natives of the region to discuss native resettlement in the area. After seven years, when it was found that most natives still preferred their migrant ways, the government dismissed all personnel.
The village evolved into a commercial centre for white settlers in the 1870s. The townís small marina has room for 30 boats. There is a public beach and changing area beside the docks.
FoundLocally's Business listings for Manitowaning
Housed in an old cut stone building that used to be a jail in the 1850s displays pioneer implements, household goods, and agricultural items. There is also a fully-equipped blacksmithís shop.
SS Norisle and Heritage Park
Take a tour of the SS Norisle for a view of a large Great Lakes ship. Manitowaning Roller Mills, which is located in Heritage Park beside the shop has agricultural displays in its 1883 grist and flour mill structure. Open daily July-August.
St Paulís Church
Consecrated in 11849, St Paulís Church is the oldest Anglican parish in northern Ontario, and has the regionís oldest church bell. The cemetery contains gravestones dating back to 1864.
The lighthouse behind St Paulís Church was built in 1885 and continues to be in operation. The building itself is not open to the public, but the grounds provide great views of Manitowaning Bay.